OT - PDF creation slows to a crawl

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 07:15:38 PST 2005

Imported-from-Word docs often seem to contain hidden higher-order
characters that
cause problems when it comes to .pdf creation, maybe because Acrobat
doesn't know
how to deal with them, or they may signal Acrobat to do something special.

I think I'd try these alternate methods of import:
* Poke around in the .mif file to see if you can ID more precisely
what is triggering the show down, and remove it.
* In Word, in a copy of the source, Remove Formatting, and save as
.RTF (Maybe also save as .txt while you're at it). Try opening the
.RTF in FM to see if that makes a difference.
* Make a .PDF of the problem file from Word, then extract an .RTF file
from that in Acrobat.
* If it still isn't working, try copy-and-pasting the .txt file in to
FM with the Paste Special / Text command.

Art

> Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this? I've eliminated cross-refs
> and hyperlinks in the original Word doc (my first suspicion). I saved as MIF
> and re-opened, but it made no difference. My choices at present seem to be
> either to live with the slow PDF generation or to re-type the document.
>
> Thanks to all.
>
> Roger

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358