Keeping track of graphics

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Thu Dec 8 09:39:37 PST 2005

Carla's point about using one graphic for all linked uses is the
simplest. However, the single central folder of all graphics could be
confusing.

Has anyone successfully employed operating system links, aliases, or
shortcuts in project-specific graphics folders for this purpose? The
idea is that you can have project-specific directory structures that
only contain links to the source graphics that are stored in a
central location. Each project's graphics directory contains only the
project's graphic links. FM files in each project refer to the link,
not to the source.

The advantages are fewer graphics (links) to manage for each project,
and a single graphic source for multiple uses.

The disadvantage is setting it up and retraining authors to use the
new approach.

I know that unix links are reliable, and that the reliable Macintosh
aliases are not an option past FM 7.0. Is anyone using Windows
shortcuts?

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices