[Slightly OT] attribute value length limits

mcarr at allette.com.au mcarr at allette.com.au
Thu Dec 15 03:04:59 PST 2005

Jakob Fix wrote:

> I am doing some testing for export of a Frame (7.1) document to XML and
> SGML.  I am particularly interested in the maximum length of attribute
> values.  I found that there's not really a limit when exporting to XML
> (I tried 5kb of text).  However, when exporting to SGML, it only exports
> the first 511 (!) bytes, not even 512.

Yebbut... why? I've never seen an attribute value that size. If I had a
value that big, I'd be looking for some further breakdown of it. Are you
sure that big a chunk is necessary to assist in the description of the
element?

> I do seem to remember that this value can be fixed/increased in the
> SGML declaration, however I can't find any documentation on which
> keyword corresponds to attribute value length.  I tried LITLEN,
> ATTSPLEN, and some others, but even their current values are not set
> to 511 (or 512).  Or is this limitation to be looked for elsewhere?

Some things can be changed in the SGML Declaration but the change won't be
reflected in FrameMaker. I would have thought that LITLEN would be the one
to change.

Marcus