Those old book numbering blues

Joe Malin jmalin at tuvox.com
Thu Dec 15 13:37:15 PST 2005

I'm confused.

You want one autonumber format to control stuff that flows through an
entire book. You want paragraph numbers not reset between chapters. If
so, then you *don't* want <n=0>, cuz that will restart the numbering?

To set up *one* paragraph style so that it was numbered
  from paragraph 1 for the book's first paragraph in the first file,
  to paragraph <n> for the n-th paragraph in the last file,

I'd use autonumber P:<n+> for the style, and set Document > Numbering...
so that paragraph numbers continued from the previous file in the book.

Alternatively, if I wanted the first paragraph to be 1 for *each* file
in the book, I'd use P:<n+> but set Document > Numbering... so that
paragraph numbers restart at 1 for each file.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin at tuvox.com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.