Migrating EDDs

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Fri Dec 16 05:32:18 PST 2005

Hi Steve,

No apologies necessary: that is what the list is for. Well, it's actually
for complaints, gripes, etc., but FrameMaker questions are acceptable once
in awhile.

The best method depends on how different the structure is from one EDD to
another. Here are some possible methods.

1) Import the new Element Definitions and then clean up the structure by
hand. This could be fairly tedious if a lot of clean up is required. You
could use FrameScript scripts to assist you with the clean up, and perhaps
automate the whole process.

2) Save the document as XML and then use XSLT stylesheets to convert the XML
so that it conforms to the new structure. Import the converted XML back into
FrameMaker using the new EDD. If your structure is XML and you have a lot of
documents, this may be the best approach. FrameMaker 7.2 for Windows (sorry)
allows you to apply XSLT transformations on import or export, adding some
automation to the process. Of course, you still have to write the
appropriate XSLT stylesheets.

3) If your EDD uses paragraph and character formats to define formatting,
you could try removing the structure from (a copy of) the document. Then you
could use a Conversion Table to restructure the document according to the
new EDD. This may be a good approach because it would not require any tools
outside of FrameMaker.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267