default fonts in Framemaker 6

Phil Heron Phil.Heron at CODA.com
Wed Dec 21 09:05:36 PST 2005

When you create a new document in FrameMaker, the paragraph and character formats etc are derived from the document used as the template for the new document.

If you create a new document using the File > New menu option, FrameMaker bases the document on the file "custom" in the FrameMaker fminit directory. As this is a FrameMaker document you can open it and make changes to the paragraph formats and so on. Save it with the same name and FrameMaker will use it as the template for any future custom documents. This procedure is described in the Frame manual in the section "Changing templates for blank paper and text files", P293 for Frame 5.5, P326 for Frame 7 (I don't have Frame 6). It's probably also in the online help.

I think you are mistaken about Distiller failing to produce press-quality PDF files if it finds any Truetype fonts. There have been many messages on this list from Dov Isaacs of Adobe about this very subject.

Phil Heron
Technical Writer - CODA
www.coda.com

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces+phil.heron=coda.com at lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces+phil.heron=coda.com at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of patrick scully
Sent: 21 December 2005 16:35
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: default fonts in Framemaker 6

Dear Framemaker users,

Is it possible to change the default font (currently Times New Roman) that Framemaker uses for paragraph, character, table formats etc?

I have looked in maker.ini, but its font defaults relate ONLY to what font substitutions are made where a user doesn't have a particular font.

I don't EVER want to use Times New Roman or any other Truetype font in a document that I prepare for commercial printing. Distiller fails to produce press-quality PDF files if it finds any Truetype fonts. And it can be very difficult to find exactly where the Truetype font is lurking in a Framemaker document.

The only workaround I can see currently is to delete everything from the paragraph, character and table catalogs, and start from scratch.

Thanks

Patrick Scully, Director
Rédacteurs Ltd, 165 Howth Road, Dublin 3 00 353 1 8330444 00 353 87 2362563 www.redact.ie

* Economic & Technology Reports * Policies & Procedures
* User Documentation * Information Mapping Training