Numbered list item picks up from preceding nested list item

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 05:39:32 PST 2005

Hi Stacie,

This can be done in a number of ways.

I find it best with nested lists to start by deciding how deep you
will go. Let's say for three levels, set in the first level:

If level is: 1
  If context is: {first}
    Numbering properties
    Autonumber format: L:<n=1>< =0>< =0>\t  *** hereby setting the
first counter to 1 and the 2nd and 3rd counter to 0***
  Else
    Numbering properties
    Autonumber format: L:<n+>< >< >\t  ***keeping the counters as empty***

If level is: 2
  Autonumber format: L:<n>.<a+>< >\t ***no need to account for first
here as the counter was already set in the first level.***

If level is: 3
  Autonumber format:L:<n>.<a>.<i+>\t

The level 2 and three can of course also be set with preceding counters empty.

Actually my numbering systems usually are a bit more complicated than
this plus I often use a kind of heading for the lists, so I can
connect it to the list by "Keep with next". This calls for a
duplication of setting the 1st level counter to 1 (or optionally first
level counter to 1 and following levels counters to 0).

I have an 18 month old part sample that looks like this:

Count ancestors named:	List
  If level is: 1
    If context is: {after ListHead}
      Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: L:<n=1>.\t
    Else, if context is: {first}
      Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: L:<n=1>.\t
    Else
      Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: L:<n+>.\t
  Else, if level is: 2
    If context is: {after ListHead}
      Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: L:<n>.<n=1>.\t
    Else, if context is: {first}
      Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: L:<n>.<n=1>.\t
    Else
      Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: L:<n>.<n+>.\t
  Else, if level is: 3
    If context is: {after ListHead}
      Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: L:<n>.<n>.<n=1>.\t
    Else, if context is: {first}
      Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: L:<n>.<n>.<n=1>.\t
    Else
      Numbering properties
      Autonumber format: L:<n>.<n>.<n+>.\t
  Else
    Numbering properties
    Autonumber format: NO NUMBERING BEYOND LEVEL 3

I could have saved some typing and set the 2nd and 3rd counters --
like in the first example -- at first level, thus eliminating the need
for the {first} context in 2nd and 3rd levels.

The last Else is a warning only.

Have fun!

Bodvar