Extra colours introduced by PNGs

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Nov 23 00:55:36 PST 2005

John,

You wrote:

>... He switched to using PNGs for the many screenshots in his very large
>manuals
>-- but the file sizes have blown out exponentially, presumably because of the
>now millions of extra colours introduced to the Frame colour lists. (All
>images are imported by ref, BTW.) He is using FM 7.1, having recently binned
>5.5.6 (where the problem also existed).
>
>I vaguely remember reading that this colour blow-out applies only when one
>particular Windows Colour Quality setting is used.
>
>Can anyone please remind me which one?

The PNGs have to be non-indexed (24-bit color instead of 8-bit color).

>He will also need some plugin (or a FrameScript) that he can wipe over >10,000
>pages to rid them of the extra colours.

Saving as MIF will clear all of  the "RGB nnn,nnn,nnn" colors.

If many FM files are involved, visit http://www.microtype.com/Links.html
for information on utilities which save all files in a book as MIF.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars