Rename PDF, xrefs stop working

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Nov 24 12:11:14 PST 2005

Martin,

You wrote:

>I'm using Frame 7.1. The cross-refs are regular ones (created with Special
>-> Cross-Reference).
>One thing I have noticed, though, is that in Acrobat (5.0), when I look at
>the properties for a "bad" link, there is no "Edit Destination" button.
>Instead there is text that reads something like "Destination
>M6.9.72923...e: " followed by the filename of the original PDF. (72923 is
>the ID number in the marker for the Xref's destination.)

I will have to inspect the specific .fm file and the resulting .ps file to
have a better idea as to the problem.

>I have tried clearing the "Create Named Destinations for All Paragraphs",
>optimizing PDF size (in Frame), but it does not make any difference
>(except reducing the file size, which is handy...).

I strongly recommend to have "Create Named Destinations for All Paragraphs"
turned on, or else random cross-references/hypertext links become
non-functional. This happens too often with PDFs authored in FrameMaker;
the bad links in FM7.2's "Structure Application Developer's Guide" PDF
(http://www.microtype.com/homeHmmm.html) provide yet another demonstration
of this. If the PDF file size is an issue, there are other ways to safely
reduce unused named destinations.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars