fmPython

James Ramsay JRamsay at webMethods.com
Tue Apr 4 12:10:40 PDT 2006

 I got it to run at last, thanks to lots of trial and error and help from
co-worker Keith Arnett. It appears that the script file got corrupted with
tabs on the trip from the Web site to my PC. The following message kept
appearing in my FrameMaker Console:

fmPython - Python scripting for FrameMaker
  File "<string>", line 15
     # get first text inset - this may generate RuntimeException
    ^
IndentationError: expected an indented block

This line was indented with a tab instead of hard spaces. When I removed the
tab, the error moved on to the next line. Keith sent me his version of the
script file, which he had downloaded using Firefox, and it had no tabs so it
worked fine. It appears Internet Explorer decided tabs would be much nicer
than spaces, so went ahead and replaced them without telling me!

For those attempting to do this trick at home, please note the following
gotchas:

1. You must install Python 2.2.3 as your interpreter, not the latest version
on their Web site.
2. If you download the script with IE, be sure to replace any substituted
tabs with spaces.
3. When you open the script in Frame to load it, open it as text with ASCII
encoding.
4. After you run the script, don't save your chapter files or you'll lose
your text insets.

Hope this helps,
Jim Ramsay