PDFs out of FM 7.2 losing text

Fred Staal Fred.Staal at schilling.com
Tue Apr 4 13:02:12 PDT 2006

We recently installed FrameMaker 7.2 (from FM 6) on our tech-Pubs
computers and have encountered a problem converting certain .FM files
with PDF graphics to PDF files via Acrobat 7 pro.
The problem graphics are pdf conversions of SolidWorks drawings that we
import by reference into FM documents. Using Framemaker 6 we never had a
problem with printing to Adobe PDF (as .ps) and then distilling to .pdf.
However, with Framemaker 7.2 installed, the print to Adobe PDF process
results in all the text being stripped from the drawings, regardless of
any embed or do not embed font settings (with FM 6 we never embedded
fonts when printing these graphics files to PDF and they printed to pdf
OK).

This problem does not occur in AutoCad 14 drawings that have been
converted to pdf files and imported into the same FM file. So, the issue
seems to be between pdf files from SolidWorks and FrameMaker 7.2. This
has happened on two separate network computers with Windows XP, but of
quite different vintages and configurations. The commonality is the
recent installation of FM 7.2.

Naturally, there are looming deadlines. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred

Fred Staal