FrameMaker Evangelist / dashed lines in FrameMaker

Matthias.Dillier at snb.ch Matthias.Dillier at snb.ch
Thu Apr 6 06:51:38 PDT 2006

Hi RJ and hi all

Nice to here, that there is now a FrameMaker Evangelist at Adobe and that
he is watching this list. Maybe this can help to stop the continuing
rumors about FrameMaker being dead.

 So, I once more try an old question:

---------

Bug in calculation of dashed lines

In FrameMaker 5.5.6 and 6.0 on NT and UNIX I encountered a problem with
dashed lines. When you draw a polyline with many points on it and use a
dashed line style, the line turns into a solid line, if there are many
points one near the other which define the polyline. This is because
FrameMaker begins a new dash-pattern at every point on the polyline. (You
have the same problem with the edges of boxes etc.)
I think that this is a bug in the algorithm to draw dashed lines. In
PostScript, the dashed lines continue regularly regardless of the number
of points on the polyline. The same behavior in Excel, SAS/GRAPH,
different graphics packages ... ... .

What do you think of this problem?
Will there be a fix by Adobe or are there any workarounds?

---------

I first posted this question to the list (and to some Adobe addresses) 5
years ago (April 2001) but I still have no solution for the problem and no
answer from Adobe. The problem is still there in FrameMaker 7.0 but I did
not test it with 7.1 or 7.2.

The background is, that I wanted to use the plotting program Grace (see:
http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/) which can output plots in
mif-format. Sometime it would be very nice to be able to use mif to
include and edit plots in FrameMaker instead of having to use eps, as I do
now. But the described bug makes some of my plots (mostly 'business
graphs') unusable, especially when I have to use black and white
lineplots.

Kind regards,
Matthias

This message is for information purposes only. It may not be secure or error-free.
The Swiss National Bank does not accept legal responsibility for any
consequences resulting from e-mail use.