OT Re: FrameMaker on Mac

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Thu Apr 6 14:13:20 PDT 2006

Hi Bill,

I appreciate your comments, but I would rather keep my primary application
(FrameMaker), even if I had to run it on a "foreign" operating system like
Windows XP. The ability to run FrameMaker on the Mac via Windows may be a
compromise, but it has to be better than switching applications or
platforms. In my opinion, the ultimate will be if Apple "unbundles" OS X
from Apple hardware. I think that OSX would make huge gains in market share
overnight. And I think that the increased popularity of OS X would cause
Apple's hardware sales to increase as well.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com

At this stage I wouldn't even speculate on what motivates Steve Jobs, or
what he's fanatical about. And that may have changed since his close brush
with the mortality (pancreatic cancer). One detects a change in his outlook.

I don't know that we Mac users are fanatics. I switched from windows a
little over a decade ago. I still have Windows machines in the labs here. I
like what I'm using now (the Mac) and I have no interest in switching back
to Windows. And some of my colleagues switch to the Mac every year, so we
are a growing group. On campus there is a very large population of Mac users
and the numbers are climbing all the time. But as concerns FrameMaker, I'll
change documentation strategies before I change platforms, though I'll miss
FrameMaker. I'm a bit of a nut about typography, so LaTeX will probably end
up being good for me. It's not fanaticism. It's just preference in a
platform to work on day in and day out. OS X provides a really nice work
space whether I want to make a movie with some Apple software, or write a
shell script in UNIX, or compile some C code for a PIC. It's just a great
platform. It's not perfect. I've got my gripes with some things OS X and
some things Apple, but on the whole I think it's about as good as it gets
out there for usability and power on the desktop.

- web