OT Re: FrameMaker on Mac

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Thu Apr 6 18:51:07 PDT 2006

True, Apple is a hardware company, but the real money in computers is in
software. Just ask Bill Gates. The question is, how much hardware revenue
would Apple lose by such a move? Do people buy Apple for the hardware or for
the software experience? Hopefully, they would gain many customers that
would have never bought Apple hardware anyway.

For me, though, the ability to use FrameMaker trumps hardware and OS
choices. I would consider LaTeX and Apple/OS X a serious "downgrade" from
FrameMaker and Windows XP. My first choice would be OS X on my choice of
hardware with the ability to run Windows XP on the same machine. This would
allow me the advantages and experience of OS X, while allowing me to stay
current with FrameMaker. My second choice would be a Mac that could easily
run Windows XP. It looks like this second choice is becoming a reality.

Rick