Frame Crashing

Karyn Hunt Karyn.Hunt at scalix.com
Fri Apr 7 10:14:41 PDT 2006

Hi Guys,

   I'm having a strange problem that my IT guys tells me is due to a bad interaction between Windows, FrameMaker and RoboHelp. I’m wondering if any of you has seen this and if so, what you've done to correct it.

   To make a long story short, my Windows Explorer folders are becoming corrupted and crashing FrameMaker when I try to import images by reference. Things generally go okay for a while until I spend a fair amount of time importing several different images. Then all-of-a-sudden, the image folder will decide it just doesn't want to work with FrameMaker any more and it begins crashing (both Explorer windows AND FrameMaker) every time I try to import an image.

   If I physically move that folder elsewhere, like my desktop for example, it begins working again. But then I've broken all other reference links and I have to start over, which makes this solution unworkable.

   To date, the only workaround I can come up with is to move the image folder to the desktop, copy the new images in, then move the folder back to its usual spot for archival purposes, should I ever solve this vexing problem.

   My IT guys blames this on RoboHelp and says FrameMaker, Windows Explorer and RoboHelp don't play nicely together. But I don’t' really believe him. My installation of RoboHelp is working just fine - no problems with it at all - just FrameMaker and Explorer.

  Any thoughts? Suggestions?

  I'm on FrameMaker 7.1 with RoboHelp X5.0.1 and Windows XP Professional version 2002, Service Pack 2.

Karyn