Vanishing Table Heading Cells

Jim Light jlight at pillardata.com
Mon Apr 10 08:35:35 PDT 2006

Anne,
I did not try that. I don't use that driver, and frankly I'm not sure
whether it generates a PDF file or a PS file or what. To generate the
Color PS file, I installed an HP Color LaserJet Postscript printer
driver, which Windows XP can do just from its own internal collection of
printer drivers. Any color PS driver will do, I think.

I would say that you should definitely keep an eye out for empty shaded
cells in the PDF. For me it was just the first column heading cells. (We
only shade heading cells.) No other column cells were affected and this
did not occur in every table!

Not only that, I tried copying one of the good tables and using it as a
"template" for a bad table by copying the bad table's body rows into it.
The heading rows were otherwise identical. Strangely, this sometimes
worked (and sometimes not!). Thus, there must be more to the bug than my
simple explanation.

Shlomo suggested I "See http://www.microtype.com/FM_bugs.html#FM71 for
more info and sample files.
(Note: this problem is listed under FM7.1 but applies to FM7.2 as well.
Generally, bugs listed under a specific FM release apply to later
versions, unless indicated otherwise)."

I assume that turning tagging off in your PDF setup will also solve the
problem. You don't necessarily need to tag your PDF files. I happen to
be generating PDFs where I want users to be able to copy a table as a
table, and tagging the file enables that.

There may be other workarounds that I have not tried. For example, if
you have Acrobat Professional I think you can generate the tags on an
otherwise untagged PDF file, thus dodging the FrameMaker bug.

Good luck.

Jim