Commenting in PDF files from Acrobat 6.0

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Tue Apr 18 07:35:19 PDT 2006

Readers or reviewers who have the full-feature editor/reader tool
that comes with the full Acrobat product (and which Adobe, in their
wisdom, chose to call by exactly the same name as the full product
suite, e.g. Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Deluxe or Adobe Acrobat 7.0
Professional) can add comments and other markup to any PDF file
that doesn't have security settings that prevent commenting.

Reviewers/readers who do not have the full Acrobat product suite
can only add comments to a PDF if *both* the following conditions
are true:
1) The reviewer is using Adobe Reader 7.0 or later. (Acrobat Reader
    6.x is not good enough).
2) The PDF must have been specifically enabled for commenting via
    Adobe Reader 7.x using the Adobe Acrobat 7.x editor/reader tool.
    This is *never* the default state for PDFs; it *must* be explicitly
    enabled after the PDF has been generated. Note that because
    this is a post process step, you can use Acrobat 7.x to enable
    commenting on PDFs that were created with older versions of
    Acrobat.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ