(Newbie) Structured FM Question: Notes, Tips, etc.

Etzel, Gary Gary.Etzel at Advantica.biz
Thu Apr 20 06:13:57 PDT 2006

> What's the best way to implement this and still get the same end result?
> Should I not be using tables? The closest I can get is inserting a table
> with the same paragraph format assigned to both table cells, which I
> don't want. How do you specify one paragraph format for one column and a
> different format for the second column?

Hi Lin, this is a pretty simple issue, although perhaps a little complex to
explain via text on an email list. In your structure, you want to define two
Table Cell elements -- one element for the table cell that gets the icon,
and the other for the table cell that gets the body text. When you create
your general rule for the Table Row, you want to set up your element
something like the following (assuming that you are setting up a note):

     Element (Table Row): TableRow_Note
          General rule:  TableCell_NoteIcon, TableCell_NoteBody
          Initial structure pattern for table row:  TableCell_NoteIcon,
TableCell_NoteBody

Then, each of the two Table Cell elements can be set up like the following:

Element (Table Cell): TableCell_NoteIcon
     General rule:	  Note_Icon
     Automatic insertions
          Automatically insert child:  Note_Icon

Element (Table Cell): TableCell_NoteBody
     General rule:  Note_Heading, Note_Body+
     Automatic insertions
          Automatically insert child:  Note_Heading

Those final elements in the general rule -- Note_Icon, Note_Heading, and
Note_Body -- would be paragraph-type elements that contain the text within
your note. One thing you don't want to do is have paragraphs be the child of
the Table Cell itself. If you use paragraph-type elements as children of the
Table Cell elements, you will get much better control over what gets
inserted.

Contact me off list if you're not following me. I've got an example of this
in my own EDD and it works exactly like you want.

Regards,

Gary

This e-mail, and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only.  The content may also contain legal, professional or other privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, by return of email, and then delete the e-mail and any attachments.  You should not disclose, copy or take any action in reliance on this transmission.

Please ensure you have adequate virus protection before you open or detach any documents from this transmission.