Maybe OT: Frame > XML > InDesign

Mark Barratt markb at textmatters.com
Fri Apr 21 12:40:22 PDT 2006

Yves Barbion wrote:
> Hello Framers,
>
> I'm trying to convert some FrameMaker files to InDesign via XML. Pretty good
> results so far, except that I get a carriage return at the end of each line
> when I place the XML in InDesign. Is it Frame or InDesign that's inserting
> these carriage returns and, more importantly, how can I avoid this?

Hi Yves

InDesign XML import is sensitive to carriage-return types. To the best
of my recollection, it imports fine with Mac carriage-returns but
doesn't like PC/Unix ones. Or it may just be that each version likes the
carriage-return convention associated with the platform it lives on.

Like Mark Poston, we found the InDesign XML import fairly rubbish and
resorted to converting from XML to InDesign tags, which worked well and
reliably.

--
Mark Barratt
Text Matters

Information design: we help explain things using
language | design | systems | process improvement
phone +44 (0)118 986 8313  email markb at textmatters.com
web http://www.textmatters.com