complicated graphics eps/cross references and structured framemaker.

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Mon Apr 24 07:04:14 PDT 2006

At 10:39 PM 4/23/2006, Noah Evans wrote:
>The gist of my problem is that I have a lot of complex graphical elements
>each with text captions which contain crossreferenced text. I was hoping to
>save the graphics and text boxes to eps together with a minimum of
>formatting from the Framemaker on the framemaker side but the
>crossreferences make that difficult(impossible?).

Noah,
   Sounds like you are facing two issues:

1) Designing how your XML will look. How will you use the XML files? Will
all applications need to reference the graphic caption? If so, you'll
either need to remove the caption from the EPS file, or duplicate the
caption elsewhere in the element structure.

2) Getting FrameMaker to import or export the desired structure. Without a
custom FDK client, FrameMaker treats an anchored frame as a single object.
If the caption is within the anchored frame, you can create
cross-references to it, but those cross-references will not round-trip.

>How do people normally
>deal with complicated graphics in structured Framemaker?

Many applications put the cross-reference in a paragraph preceding or
following the graphic image. Some use a table in which the image is placed
in one row and the caption in another.

         --Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284