Alignment of list numbers

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 24 11:27:24 PDT 2006

At 11:12 -0700 24/4/06, Joanne Curme wrote:

>Is it better that the numbers are right-aligned? This seems more of an accounting requirement than a design one. With left alignment, the numerals for either the single-digit steps or the double-digit steps do not line up with the left margin grid. If, as in my template, the <n> step format aligns with the body left paragraph margins, this means either the first step or the last step (if it's double-digit) do not left-align with the introductory or summarizing text.
>
>...Whenever there are procedures with more than 9 steps (which can't be avoided sometimes :) ), the longer numerals simply have to move to either the left or the right. IMHO, it's more pleasing to the eye to maintain the left margin grid.

I'm replying as it was me who raised this point. To be honest, I didn't consider issues of 'better' or 'worse', but merely reacted to the proofreader's slight surprise that right-alignment was not used. Proofreader works on paper, knows nothing about FrameMaker, or even that it was used, but does have a sound sense of what is 'usual'.

As far as the esthetics of the two approaches, I'm looking at a printed book with right-aligned list numbers, and I think I have a slight preference for them. I do agree, though, that where most of your lists don't go into double digits, the lack of left-margin alignment is... er... a lack. Seems like a case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't;-)
--
Steve