growing headers

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Wed Apr 26 19:30:24 PDT 2006

Hi, Gillian:

At 5:34 PM -0700 4/26/06, Gillian Flato wrote:
>I have a running header that reads a head2 and places it in the margin.
>Some headers are longer than others and the header is right-aligned. Is
>there anyway to make the running header a growing header, meaning, if
>the header its reading is long, it moves the header over to the left to
>allot space for it? Right now, it just cuts off the text if there isn't
>enough room.

It's a little hard to visualize from your description. When you say
"in the margin," do you mean the top margin, where headers usually
are placed, or the side margin, where headers sometimes are placed to
suit specific layout requirements?

For the top margin case, you could change the line from "Jaws" after
the shark ate the stern, from  "We're going to need a bigger boat,"
to "We're going to need a bigger text header frame on the master
page."

The text is overflowing its text frame. Depending on your needs and
preferences, you could either make the text frame wider, to keep the
long heading on one line, or you could make it taller, to allow the
line to wrap. Perhaps both?

HTH
Regards,

Peter Gold