Need Help Automating FrameMaker Processes

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Fri Apr 28 09:17:49 PDT 2006

Wayne,

No scripting language is "painless"; I have enough AppleScript experience to
know that AppleScript is no exception. Although Mac users already have
AppleScript, it will take some effort for them to learn how to use it, just
like they would with FrameScript.

I am not anti-Mac or pro-PC, but the tone I detected in your post was that
if the original poster didn't have a Mac, he was out of luck. I realize that
you didn't say that exactly, but that was how I read it. I am sorry if I
read you wrong.

Rick

Rick:

My comment if you read it was that you can do it painlessly with
AppleScript. A scripting language that many people use and write in. I also
said "...if not, I don't have a good answer for you." That wasn't to say
there weren't options. But with the exception of a few people on the FM
lists, FrameScript is not something you will find most people have A) access
to or B) knowledge of how to program. And that in my opinion is what
separates the Mac and Windows platform. I can use AS as a shell to shuttle
data across many applications (including some that don't truly support AS),
I can also call AWK and shell scripts from within an AS and pipe the results
into it. This makes it very much more versatile than FrameScript for some
tasks. And this is why a lot of us who still use FM on the Mac are very
reluctant to move over to the Windows platform, and why we scream when Adobe
keeps telling us that we need to either use Windows or the Solaris version
of FM. Neither is a true replacement and will never be.

-Wayne