No MIF (was Phantom index entries

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Tue Aug 1 11:13:16 PDT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Murray Moore wrote:

> When one thing doesn't work, often it seems other things also do not work.
>
> I have saved the chapter two ways:

> * File ~> Save As... ~> Save as type MIF (*.mif)
This is the one you want.

> But neither method has produced a text file, just a copy of the FM file
> with a .mif extension.

That's odd... the file is actually in binary format? What happens if you
bring it into a plain text editor, such as wordpad?

If it really is an FM binary, AND you actually did select the save-as mif
option, something is broken.

But don't try to open the MIF save in FM, as it will convert it right back
to an FM doc. Use a plain text editor to open the MIF version. (There
might have been a way to prevent FM from doing this auto convert of mif on
open, but durned if I can remember it now.)

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421
USA Voice: 360-892-3970  USA FAX: 360-253-1498
http://www.fsatools.com