FM Error: "Cannot write to specified print file"

Roger Fienhold Sheen infotexture at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 09:15:09 PDT 2006

Framers,

A colleague of mine is receiving the "Cannot write to specified print file"
error message whenever he tries to print to a PostScript file using Acrobat
Distiller (FM 6.0, Acrobat 5.0, WinXP).

I assumed this error was caused by spurious read-only permissions in the
project folder, but changing the folder permissions via the Properties
dialog didn't seem to "stick". (There is an article on this issue in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/en-us>.)

I tried printing to PS from a new file in a different location, but got the
same error message on his machine. I can print these files to PS on my
machine, so it appears to be a problem specific to his computer.

Before I follow the "attrib" command line workaround suggested in the KB
article, I just wanted to ask if any of you have any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Roger