Hide text in Framemaker?

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Thu Aug 10 05:22:29 PDT 2006

As suggested by other already, conditional text is the most obvious
approach. But depending on how you intend to use the non-visible
information in your process, another alternative might be a custom
marker type, since you can easily collect these as a generated list.
The downsides of this approach include these:
 - the marker dialog is one of the most annoying parts of the
   FrameMaker user interface from a usability standpoint (although
   the various indexing add-ons like IXgen provide highly usable
   alternative interfaces for markers, including the ability to display
   the marker contents in-line with regular text)
 - limited character formatting capabilities
 - limit of 255 characters per marker

And if you're working in structured mode, I'm sure that there are
a number of additional alternative approaches.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ