OT: Writing/editing style

Tammy.VanBoening at jeppesen.com Tammy.VanBoening at jeppesen.com
Thu Aug 10 11:23:46 PDT 2006

Well Richard, as you stated:

Unless you're writing for complete computer
novices

You hit the nail right on the head - in some cases we are, in other cases
we aren't. The crux of the matter is that both audiences will have to use
this same guide. Plus, they will so infrequently use these background
applications, that their learning curve would be just for the day that
they are using the program and then it would be a fresh start all over
again.

So . . . . I dunno' at this point. I think waiting for customer feedback
on the guide is what I need to do.

TVB

Tammy Van Boening
Senior Technical Writer
Jeppesen Sanderson, Inc.
303-328-4420
tammy.vanboening at jeppesen.com

"Combs, Richard" <richard.combs at Polycom.com>
Sent by:
framers-bounces+tammy.vanboening=jeppesen.com at lists.frameusers.com
08/10/2006 12:09 PM

<framers at frameusers.com>
cc

Subject
RE: OT: Writing/editing style

Fred Ridder wrote:

> Focus on essential steps (accomplishing the task at hand).
> Assume automatic actions (like basic navigation).
> Eliminate unnecessary words.

I'm with Art and Fred. Unless you're writing for complete computer
novices, don't describe _how_ to switch to another application or
window. The reader may not even like the method you describe, preferring
to use Alt-Tab. Just say, "In the Foo program's Bar tab, do X."

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer