Table Title Alignment Issue

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Thu Aug 10 13:55:58 PDT 2006

Hi Kevin,

Use a table heading row instead of a table title.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com

hi all,

I have a situation that would seem to be simple, but I can't find a good
solution.

In one of our user guides we have a lengthy list of items that I've placed
into a 4-column table. The table spans several pages. The table is also
frequently ammended (entries added or removed), so the length and relative
position of the rows vis a vis the page breaks changes.

I want to add column headings for the four columns, that are aligned
correctly with the columns they correspond to. I want these column headings
to appear at the top of the table, as well as at the top of every subsequent
page. So I'm trying to use the Table Title.

However, when I use the title, I find I can't put tab stops in, because when
I actually press the tab key, the cursor jumps to the first table cell. So
in order to place my table headings, I have to set the alignment on that
style to left, and space space space over to a spot that approximately lines
up with the column below, and type my heading. This works all right (but not
great; alignment isn't exact) while I'm looking at the thing on the screen,
but when I generate the PDF version, the column heading locations vary
slightly from the screen version I'm looking at and don't line up perfectly
with the columns. So I end up having to mess with the spacing, re-gen the
PDF (which is a pain) and so on, until I end up with something that works in
the PDF, but looks wrong on my screen.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Kevin Hunter
ESDI