FM7.x EULA, additional computer (was: need FrameMaker 7.0 and 7.1 feature lists)

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Aug 16 01:49:45 PDT 2006

Art,

You wrote:

 > ... Also, although I haven't poured over the license agreement lately,
 > I think that FM, like most Adobe products, can legally be installed on
 > two machines provided they aren't operating at the same time.

The FrameMaker 6 license allows installation on a *home computer* in
addition to an office computer, for the use of the same person.

In FrameMaker 7, the reference to the additional computer was limited to a
*portable computer* (and home computer was omitted).
[By comparison, in Acrobat and Photoshop, the additional computer can be
either a home or a portable computer.]

I wasn't sure whether it was some sort of an editing mistake that made its
way to the EULA. I asked, and was told by Michael Hu, Senior Product
Manager for Adobe FrameMaker, that the difference was intentional.

Accordingly it seems as if FM7 users who want to take some work home and
use a dekstop computer and not a portable one, need an additional license.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars