Framemaker vs. Flare

Sean Pollock spolloc1 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 17 12:06:08 PDT 2006

   With Adobe having purchased Macromedia some time ago and announcing
   continued support for RoboHelp (see
   [1]http://www.winwriters.com/articles/rh2/index.html), which earlier
   Macromedia had purportedly wanted to drop, it will be interesting to see
   what will come out. My guess is Adobe will revamp FrameMaker to work with
   RoboHelp rather than, or maybe in addition to, Word, something Frame users
   have requested for many years now. Wow, no more MIF imports!! The last few
   versions of RoboHelp have worked (poorly) with WebWorks, and I see Adobe,
   whose animosity toward Microsoft is well known, as wanting to dominate our
   market.

   While Flare, which was created by former Macromedia/Blue Sky RoboHelp people
   when Macromedia was "killing" RoboHelp, seems to be attracting many people
   (see
   [2]http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/archives/0603/techwhirl-0603-00862.html
   ), I'm all for the Adobe products. Admittedly, I don't know much about
   Flare. But imagine an integrated suite of tools intended just for us: Frame,
   RoboHelp, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, others (???)...

   --Sean Pollock, MidNyteOyl