Framemaker vs. Flare

Jon Harvey JHarvey at cambridgesoft.com
Fri Aug 18 06:24:23 PDT 2006

I used Flare for several months, starting last November when version 1.0
was still in Beta. I found it to be a viable option to RH. Flare 1.0 has
a few bugs and quirks to it but then so does RH. One thing that
impressed me about the beta testing was that MadCap really encouraged
testers to report bugs, moreso than many software houses I've seen. They
even had a contest for who could report the most. As a result, the
inaugaral product was actually pretty good, although it still had a few
minor problems. If you are looking for a great HAT, Flare 1.0 isn't
there yet and I can't speak for v2.0(scheduled for release next month)
but MadCap seems to be pretty dedicated to make people forget about
RoboHelp. If they continue doing what they are doing, I suspect they are
going to get their wish.

Jon Harvey
Manager, Desktop Documentation

CambridgeSoft Corporation