Capturing a certain view of a document in FM

Stephen O'Brien sobrien at innovmetric.com
Tue Aug 22 12:08:30 PDT 2006

Hi...I'm looking for a direction in which to go...

Documentation: in FM 6 books I make use of text insets (by reference)
and variables, both being affected by conditional text.

Situation: Must provide FM files for translation (German, Japanese...).

Problem for translation: text insets with conditional formats
imported by reference, variables in a document controlled by
conditional format --> hard to translate from English (no gender, etc.)

Solution: (conceived after discussion with client and translation
firm) transform the user variables and text insets to simple text
using proper conditional formats in a copy of the book...(done, using
a script).

Question: When I open a FM document, I see just what I need. And when
I print that to PDF, that's what gets printed. ANy way to print that
to ... another FM document...or capture that view (what I can see) in
a FM format? I ask the question because this conversion to text to
ease the translation, while operating well and quickly, is like
working hard to see what FM shows me an opening the book . Am I
missing something?

Thanks...it's like I can't see the forest for the trees...got a chain saw?

Stephen O'Brien
Documentation/Technical Writer
InnovMetric Logiciels (Software) Inc.
1-418-688-2061