Character formatting problem

Joe Malin jmalin at tuvox.com
Thu Aug 24 15:45:07 PDT 2006

You're not missing anything. The FM interface is quite confusing for
this task.

I do character tags with the following steps:
1. Open the Character Designer (I use CTRL+D)
2. In the document, click to clear any selections. To verify you've done
it correctly, the
   *Character Tag* text box in the Designer should be blank.
3. Select *Commands > New Format*.
4. Enter a name for the new tag. In your case, it would be "Subscript".
5. Set *Store in Catalog*, but _clear_ *Apply to Selection*.
6. Click *Create*. _Notice that the *Character Tag* text box is still
blank._
7. With the insertion point still outside a selection, select
*Subscript* from the Designer
   dropdown box.
8. Set or clear the options you want. For a plain subscript, set
everything to *As Is*, and set
   the *Spread* and *Stretch* fields to blank. Also clear all the
options at the right of the
   Designer.
9. Set the checkbox next to *Superscript/Subscript*, then select
*Subscript* from the dropdown
   box.
10.Click *Update All*.

Test this. You should see a subscript.

_Notice that the Character Designer shows you all the other settings
that previously applied to
your selection_. That is, Character Designer does *not* switch to *As
Is* when you make a
selection. Instead, it shows the _current state_.

That's the confusing part of the UI. FM dialogs work that way. FM didn't
start out as a Windows app, so its UI does not show a Microsoft
influence. You may find it confusing; when I was first starting, I sure
did! In fairness to both Adobe and FM, it is confusing because it is not
what we expect.

	 Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin at tuvox.com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.