Monitor issue

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Sun Aug 27 11:31:37 PDT 2006

Unless you can't handle the higher purchase price (which does get
offset somewhat by lower power consumption) or are a hard-core
gamer (and need the fastest possible screen imaging), I don't see
any good reason not to buy an LCD monitor at this point.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind, though.

-LCD screens only look good at their native resolution. If the native
resolution is higher than you're used to on your CRT, you may not
be happy with the smaller size of things like icons and dialog boxes

-You get much higher image quality with LCD monitors that support
digital (DVI) input. Lower-priced LCD monitors may only be analog.
If you're looking at Dell LCDs, the critical trademark to look for is
"UltraSharp", which equates to digital input. But this also assumes
that your video card has a DVI output; if not, you'll want to upgrade
it to optimally drive your monitor.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ