More...Error message: can't rename file. The newer version has an odd suffix

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 05:00:23 PDT 2006

Well, the numbered files are FM's temp files... the network problem
though is a little weird.
In your FM prefs, what OS naming convention is specified? Does it
match the type of server? Do the files have spaces or accented or
unusual characters in the file names?

When you have a file open, can you do a SaveAs to a different file
name on the server?

Art

On 8/29/06, The red fox <redfox628 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> More info on this issue.....
>
> After much frustration, I tried a few things and have
> learned that this issue only happens when I am
> accessing the files from our network server.  I tested
> this by creating a new test book on the server and
> adding a few chapters to it.  Same problem.  I then
> copied the test book directory to my local hard drive
> and had no problem.  I was immediately able to save
> each chapter.
>
> At this point, bottom line is I cannot save any files
> when i am accessing them from the network server.  I
> continuously get the below error message.
>
> Also I tried using both FM 6.0 and 7.2.  I have the
> same problem with both, so it's not an FM version
> issue.
>
> I have not worked on these files in about 6 months,
> but the path to them has not changed as they have many
> text insets.
>
> I cannot imagine what would have changed on our
> network to cause this.  Anyone have any idea?
>
> My concern is moving the files because of the high
> number of text insets with x-ref's!
>

> --- The red fox <redfox628 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Framers:
> >
> > I have numerous FM 6.0 books and I am now using
> > FM7.2.
> >  Whenever I open/modify and save a file now I get
> > the
> > following message.
> >
> > 'The document was saved to a temporary file, but
> > FrameMaker cannot rename it to have the correct
> > name.
> > The newer version has an odd suffix.'
> >
> > FM is creating suffixes like:  .2A8,  3D7 etc.
> > NOTE:
> > I am not renaming the file, I am just making normal
> > modifications to content and trying to save it.
> >
> > Anyone know what's going on?  This is a pain in
> > butt!
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358