Links to web work from FM, but not from PDF - partial solution

Linda G. Gallagher lindag at techcomplus.com
Thu Dec 7 15:41:20 PST 2006

The links all look right when the tooltip pops up. I checked that the Create
Named Destinations option was turned on (thanks, Tammy), and it was. I tried
rebooting, too, (thanks Fred). Still no joy.  If my browser is closed, it
now opens IE (which is not my default browser), but doesn't go to the page
in the link. It just opens to my default home page.  If I leave IE open, the
links to nothing.

I'm still not exactly sure what's happening, but Rick Quatro wins the prize
(just try to collect, Rick ;). He suggested opening the PDF from my browser
(Firefox, in this case), then trying the links. Lo and behold, they work
fine when I open the PDF from Firefox.

It seems like there's something else between my Acrobat and browser that's
not making them work. My firewall is not popping up anything, so I don't
think it's that. Of course, the proof of the pudding will be whether they
work for my client, and I haven't heard on that yet. Crossing my fingers
that they do, or I'll be back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda G. Gallagher
TechCom Plus, LLC
Intelligent technical communication since 1993
Technical writing, help development,
FrameMaker and WebWorks Publisher conversions
lindag at techcomplus.com
http://www.techcomplus.com/
Manager, Consulting and Independent Contracting
Special Interest Group
Society for Technical Communication
http://www.stcsig.org/cic/index.html