Copy into document graphics vs. Import by Reference

Scott White swhite at alamark.com
Fri Dec 8 13:53:04 PST 2006

I understand what you are saying about referenced images, but...

We built software that exports a file out of filemaker and then
imports into frame. We wanted to eliminate the problems that folks
have had in the past of the referenced images displaying a gray box
when the file is moved from one person to another or to a print
shop.  In the Industrial Distribution business, which is 95 percent
of our clientele, do not have the network structure to run a frame
network per se nor the graphic and computer understanding to
eliminate these linking problems easily.

We built this automated system to make it easier for the end user who
knows very little about databases, image management and desktop
publishing. With some frame training that I provide, our customers
can get a 1000-page catalog done by themselves -- a real pain point
for this type of business in the past. You have to realize here that
we are dealing with mid-million companies who know only one thing --
how to sell products.

With that said, we are developing our latest version where we are
going to look into several new enhancements including running
referenced files.

For us and our customers this works best.

Scott White
Media Production Manager
Implementation Coordinator
210-704-8239