Chapter Numbering

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Tue Dec 12 11:58:20 PST 2006

Hi Paul,

obair81 at comcast.net wrote:
> I am trying to find the right Autonumber format for my Chapter tag. Up till
> now, I had separate files for each chapter, but now I need to have a Frame
> book with just one core file that contains all my chapters.

It doesn't really matter which way you go, provided you set your document up
to suit what you need to achieve. Other issues aside of course.

> The Autonumber format that I had been using looks like this:
> H:Chapter <$chapnum> \t
> but that does not work right when multiple chapters are in one file. Each
> chapter becomes chapter 1.

<$chapnum$> operates on the file when it is linked through a book file. That
is, the numbering is allocated by the book file when it is updated.

I think you have two options:
1. Split your document up into individual files and link them through a book.
This has certain other advantages, such as determining whether the new chapter
starts on the left or right, page numbering format, etc.
2. Use <$paranum> instead of <$chapnum> and create a style for the chapters.
You can call it chapterNumber or some such.

Alan