checking location of graphics

Karen Mardahl k.mardahl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 02:02:10 PST 2006

Hi

How can I be sure that a linked graphic is where it is supposed to be?
I just had a situation where the reviewer of my doc had trouble
because the graphic wasn't where it was supposed to be for him.

Under Edit > Links, the particular graphic is shown in the window as

...\<filename>.vsd with Type Visio and Update Automatic

For source, it states

\\server\...\Graphics\<filename>.vsd

The path is a bit long, so I get three dots instead of the full path.
Policy is to have all graphics in a folder called Graphics, so
everything looks great to me. I will never see a problem because I
only use the one server. The fastest way to determine whether the
location is truly correct, is to click Change Source and open the Look
in drop-down menu. Only then can I see something is wrong. With 69
graphics, this procedure is a pain. Other docs have twice as many. The
dialog box cannot be widened.

How can I easily check that locations are correct as a part of my
preparing-for-review process? I just had a case where the graphic was
recycled. A copy of the graphic was in the correct, new folder, but my
pointer was to the original in another location. This could be
disastrous if I made any updates to the graphic. I'd be updating the
wrong one and not know it. During review, the person doing a new build
of the document in FM ran into big trouble. The other folder I was
using (unknowingly) is in Denmark. He is in California. Framemaker
hung for ages. At least we got an error message, and I could track
down the miscreant, but this happens at a time when time is at a
premium (of course). I know about
http://home.comcast.net/~bruce.foster/Archive.htm, but I want to know
the status before taking that step. I have FrameScript if someone
thinks that is the route to go. A List of References doesn't work,
because these are .vsd files imported as objects.

Thanks.

regards, Karen Mardahl