OT - Who should be responsible for proofing?

Gillian Flato gflato at nanometrics.com
Mon Dec 18 09:23:39 PST 2006

I think that their are two kinds of Technical Proofing/Editing.

1.  Technical/Functional Editing - This is performed by the SME. It is
to check that all of your technical facts are correct. This could be QA
engineers, Software Programmers, or like at my company, PH.D scientists.
(Most of the people in this category, at my company, are ESL and cannot
check the English.)

2. Writing Editing - This is performed by another Technical Writer or an
Editor. It is to check your English (or whatever language you write in),
grammar, spelling, flow and technical writing. (Most of the people in
this category, at my company, are not Engineers and can't check the
facts, only the writing).

Both sets of people need to proof your docs and check for what falls
under their expertise.

Thank you,

Gillian Flato