Redundant PDF bookmarks

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 29 21:39:37 PST 2006

It's important to remember that the PDF Bookmark setup works
mostly in an *additive* way. Frame's variable definitions and format
catalogs are fully additive, in the sense that importing a new set
of properties (variables or formats) will *not* remove existing
properties--it will only add any new properties or redefine any
properties that have matching names. PDF Bookmarks are only
"mostly" additive because removing a paragraph tag from the
bookmark list from the book file *will* remove it from the
properties of the book file, but will *not* remove it from the
properties that are stored for an individual component files if
it was selected in the PDF Setup for that individual files. This
can be a useful feature if you know about it (particularly if you
are sharing any of your component files among multiple books),
but it can be a royal PITA if you don't know about it and don't
want to utilize the feature.  The only way I'm aware of to
straighten thing out is to go through each file in your book
individually (including generated files, which are often the
source of spurious bookmark specifications) to check its
file-specific PDF Setup properties. Its truly edious, but once
you've fixed the component files, the book should be fine
and should stay that way.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ