Structure/Schema - Custom or off the shelf?

Marcus Carr mcarr at allette.com.au
Tue Feb 7 16:41:03 PST 2006

Alan Houser wrote:

> DITA architect Michael Priestley (a co-author of the 2001 paper you
> cited) has more recently addressed the misconception that DITA is an
> exchange format, not an authoring format
> (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dita-users/message/1081). My anecdotal
> experience matches Michael's -- that about half of all
> implementations use the DITA DTD "out of the box" for content
> authoring.

This showed up in a conference plug recently and I revisited the link
that Alan provided to Michael Priestly's posting. Out of interest, I
looked at the post to which Michael had replied, and found it was a very
good email from Eliot Kimber - one of the long-term industry experts
going well back into the SGML days. His explanation is far better than
mine was, but echoed much of the same sentiment. If you're interested,
have a look at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dita-users/message/1080.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mcarr at allette.com.au