Find and Replace "period"

Grant Hogarth Grant.Hogarth at Reuters.com
Wed Feb 15 09:37:40 PST 2006

This may be a silly question, but what happens if you change the locale setting for your computer to Ireland?

As for the other, may I suggest that you use a variable for the separator, and remember that you may need to add another to deal with >999.99.

US Values:
<.decimal> = .
<.separator> = ,
<.currency> = $

EU Values:
<.decimal> = ,
<.separator> = <<space>>
<.currency> = € [alt+0128]

You can then change the values easily.

To insert these for the current static characters, you would:
1) Create the <.decimal> variable.
2) Insert the <.decimal> variable into the text.
3) Copy the <.decimal> variable.
4) Select "use wildcards" and "replace by pasting"
5) Search for text ".[0-9][0-9]" (no quotes)
6) Select just the "."
7) Do a Replace.
   Unfortunately, cannot do a "replace all", as it will also
   replace the two numerals to the right of the ".".
   If there are only a couple of forms, you could do a more
   specific S&R (select "<variable>+##" (number pair) and then
   search on ".##", then repeat for other pairs.
   (Alternatively, you could select "<variable>+#" and then
    do ten searches on ".#" where #=1-0)
7) Repeat for <.separator>,<.currency>