File Management Question

John Huntington jhuntington at runbox.com
Mon Feb 20 09:16:45 PST 2006

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson wrote:
> Odd. What does the Book file say? I am not quite clear based on your
> earlier post what is the problem.

Sorry, my response got stuck in my "drafts" outbox so the whole thread
is pretty historical at this point.  :-)

Basically, I've been doing a lot of work on a book, and I cut a bunch of
chapters.   What I was calling the "data" directory is the folder where
I'm keeping all the FM files related to the book.  What I want to do is
sort out that folder in some way so I can move the old, unused files to
a "dead" director.  Mr. Ridder suggested that I run the update, and that
would open, close, and save each file, and then I could just do a
windows sort and move the older dated file.  Unfortunately, though,
since I hadn't made any edits, only the TOC and LOF files changed.   I
eventually went through and opened every file manually, changed one
character, changed it back, and then closed it, and then manually purged
out the data directory.  I'd just like to do this in some more automated
way.  And I did remove the files from the book from within the book
file,  but they apparently just get abandoned in the folder.

Thanks!

John