Internal Xref in IDX

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Mon Feb 20 10:27:09 PST 2006

Don,

You wrote:

>Has anybody ever used the <$nopage> index variable?
>
>It's a good thing and a bad thing. When put into an index ref it will
>generate whatever text you designate, usually "see also . . . " This saves
>unnecessary duplication of entries, e.g. "Utility knife/Knife, utility."
>
>BUT the actual link that's created links back to wherever the marker resides
>within the book text. This effect would be confusing for digital readers.
>They would want to go to that section of the Index referred to in the entry
>text.
>
>Do any of you sharing mentors have some sort of solution to this glitch?

I don't know of a way to handle this within FrameMaker. Have a look at
http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/IndexRef/indexref.htm for information
about a plug-in that helps with the handling of such references.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars