Internal Xref in IDX

Grant Hogarth Grant.Hogarth at Reuters.com
Tue Feb 21 11:46:42 PST 2006

Hello Don.
1) I use this variable all the time for producing HTML Help material, as
page number references are irrelevant in that format.

2) WRT the See/See Also references, I would look at either placing all
of these links at the start of the INDEX, or doing a S&R to clean out
all the see/see also links. You *could* insert or edit all those links
by hand, but that would be a pain.

Beyond that, I think you are into FrameScript territory.

Grant

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces+grant.hogarth=reuters.com at lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-bounces+grant.hogarth=reuters.com at lists.frameusers.com]
On Behalf Of donandjudy1
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 11:02 AM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Internal Xref in IDX

Dear Framer Folks:

Has anybody ever used the <$nopage> index variable?

It's a good thing and a bad thing. When put into an index ref it will
generate whatever text you designate, usually "see also . . . " This
saves unnecessary duplication of entries, e.g. "Utility knife/Knife,
utility."

BUT the actual link that's created links back to wherever the marker
resides within the book text. This effect would be confusing for digital
readers.
They would want to go to that section of the Index referred to in the
entry text.

Do any of you sharing mentors have some sort of solution to this glitch?

Grateful in advance,

~ Don Spencer