Structured FrameMaker competency questions

Anderson, Eileen Eileen.Anderson at T-Mobile.com
Wed Feb 22 20:32:32 PST 2006

Since the questions must have clearly correct answers, I'd probably opt
to show the candidate a (printed or onscreen) snippet of an actual
structured FrameMaker document (including the structure view) and ask
him or her closed-ended questions about it, such as "In this section of
the document, which elements are siblings of this element [pointing to
it]? Does it have any children? What are its ancestors? What are the
attributes of this element?" You could show the candidate a few pages of
an EDD, plus some invalid structure in a document, and ask the candidate
to point out the part of the EDD that explains why that particular bit
of the document is invalid; make this even easier for your non-technical
panel by highlighting/numbering several portions of the EDD to make this
a multiple-choice question. You could also ask the candidate basic
questions that are less performance-related, but show familiarity with
Structured Frame, such as "What does 'EDD' stand for?"

- Eileen Anderson
Manager of Curriculum Editing & Desktop Publishing
*T***Mobile* Customer Care Learning & Development
eileen.anderson at t-mobile.com

______________________
Hi all,

I know that what I'm about to ask is less than ideal on so many levels,
but please don't offer me a lecture as I have no control over the
circumstances.

A past client has been asked to put together of list of questions that a
non-technical panel could use to evaluate applicants for a position that
involves the creation and maintenance of structured FrameMaker
documents.
Obviously, they have to have a reasonably quantifiably correct answer
for a non-technical panel be have any hope of making an assessment, so
does anyone have any suggestions for questions? I'd happily repost what
I send him if anything comes of it.

This is the approach that they will take, so there's no point in telling
me that the panel's not fit to make the decision - I know that already.
All I'm trying to do is to make sure that they don't get suckered by
someone who's going to try to learn on the job. Any suggestions for
questions are welcome.

Please mail me directly as well as the list, as I'm on the digest and
the answers were really needed yesterday, of course... ;-) Thanks for
any assistance,

Marcus Carr