Docbook and Frame 7.2

John Pitt john at pitt.net.au
Thu Jan 5 02:33:54 PST 2006

After successfully avoiding structured Frame for the last 14 or 15
years, I now have a client who wants me to get DocBook xml produced from
his product's code into Frame. The end result is to be used for a number
of manuals and pushed through WebWorks ePublisher Pro.

While my reservations about structured Frame were not *totally*
unjustified -- it is a very steep learning curve -- and many of the
elements in my client's xml are not accepted by Frame, I am making headway.

But there are still many gaps in my knowledge; the most worrying being
tables that refuse to behave, and whitespace throughout. The latter
"should" (according to the Frame doco) be removed automagically, but
they are not. What does seem to work, paradoxically, is to remove all of
the spaces in the xml code!

My questions. How do I:

@ control column widths in tables?

@ control the total width of tables?

@ prevent the last column in multi-column tables appearing as the first
column?

@ remove whitespace elegantly?

@ get Frame to accept the schema in the first two lines of the xml file?
(I have tried many different versions, most of which should work, but
Frame invariably chokes).

@ find an easily understandable guide to using DocBook/Frame? I have
tried the online doco that somes with 7.2 and got some benefits from the
Steve Whitlatch stuff on the net (and accelerated learning from Bernard
Aschwanden's tutorial -- thx again Bernard!)

Not much is it? :)

jjj

--
John Pitt, technical writer