HTML character entities in XML files

Mark Barratt markb at textmatters.com
Mon Jan 9 11:32:46 PST 2006

Phil Heron wrote:
> Mark,
>
> In answer to your question about character entities in xml files, here
> are two solutions to your problem:
>
> 1. Easy solution:

Did that

> 2. More flexible solution
>
> To use entity definitions stored in a file with structured Frame you
> will need 3 things:
>
> 1. The file(s) storing the entity definitions.
> 2. A reference to the entity definitions in the DTD
> 3. A reference to the location of the entity definition file(s) in the
> strctured application definition document.

[detailed how-to snipped]

Great explanation. In this case I need to suck in xhtml character
entities but save out UTF-8-encoded Unicode for the next application in
the workflow - and this second solution would round-trip the entities, I
think? Pasting entity declarations into the source file each time I get
the problem seems the simplest solution.

Thanks

--
Mark Barratt
Text Matters

Information design: we help explain things using
language | design | systems | process improvement
phone +44 (0)118 986 8313  email markb at textmatters.com
web http://www.textmatters.com