Answer: Re: Odd bug printing FM to PDF

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Wed Jan 11 10:57:36 PST 2006

What Richard says is true, but this designed behavior is not very useful for
generated lists. For generated lists, it would have been better to have a
mechanism that would ignore character property changes and make the whole
paragraph a link.

Rick

Diane Gaskill wrote:

> I'm not sure whetehr to call it a bug or not, but it's
> definitely a known problem.   Anytime there is a character
> font change in the text of a link in the FM file, the link
> ends at that point.

This is _neither_ a "bug" _nor_ a "known problem." To reiterate what
Fred and Rick have said, it's _intended_to_work_this_way_.

The beginning and end of a hypertext link "hotspot" have to be defined
_somehow_. FM programmers _could_ have required us to insert two markers
for each link, one for the beginning and one for the end. Instead, they
reasoned as follows: "Authors will certainly want to make hotspots
identifiable by color, underlining, or some other formatting change; so
we'll let the extent of the formatting change define the hotspot."

Just to be safe, they also terminated hotspots at the end of the pgf so
that you don't create a 30-page hotspot when you screw up. :-}

Maybe you don't like the way this works. Maybe you have some other way
of defining the end of a hotspot that you'd prefer (so please enlighten
us; I'm at a loss to think of a better alternative).

But this is the consciously-chosen functionality, the way it's
_designed_ to work. If you're not sure whether to call it a bug or not,
then you just don't understand.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs